Thursday, September 4, 2008

Proposal Site Overview

Summary
My overall goal in this project is to design a Web site that can showcase my passion for wedding fashion, my research on Jane Austen and my interest in designing computer games for women in a cohesive manner. I have this goal because I would make virtual wedding fashion interfaces for Jane Austen computer role playing games, if I could do anything for a living. In order to ultimately reach my career goal, I would like the initial audience of my site to be wedding themed Web site companies, academic search committees and female-oriented game development companies. Through my research for this project, I have found that I can appeal to Web site designers through a polished layout, to educators through the quality of the content and to gamers through a positive interactive experience.


Content
This Web site will incorporate all aspects of my research on virtual wedding fashion for Jane Austen style computer role playing games. After viewing many wedding themed Web sites such as the Knot, David's Bridal and Vera Wang, I decided that I wanted to focus primarily on fashion and secondarily on architecture as a backdrop.

Structure
Using some function based Web sites like Amazon, MSNBC and UT Dallas helped me to become very aware of how important the site structure is. I want to make sure that visitors are able to find any specific piece of content they have in mind and get a feel for the breadth and depth of the content on the entire site without exasperation.

Interaction
The navigational elements will be created in Flash. The mode of navigation between pages will be buttons with single word text labels or icons. They will have subtle rollover effects to increase the usability factor. The content will be broken into less than seven categories, which will require a main set of navigation and sub-menus. Examining some Web 2.0 Web sites: The Font Feed, Pixel Acres, Web Design from Scratch inspired me to use navigation buttons with the coolest rollovers, big text and candy textures.

Layout
In terms of graphic design, I have recently settled on a particular style. My favorite media style is a glossy fashion magazine like Glamour or Bride's or Vogue. I want my site to reflect the slick look I love of the latest high fashion clothes from the Paris runways worn by the tall, thin, elegantly made up models that would look good in even in plastic grocery bags. I looked at template monster, A List Apart and Zen of CSS Design and other Web designer's Web sites, which made me want to incorporate CSS in the basic overall layout. However, I will include Flash elements because I prefer to use it in my career.

No comments: